Boy Meets Girl


As a lover of the 1950s feminine ideal, my sartorial choices tend to lean towards curve hugging pieces for the classic hourglass silhouette. On the other side of the coin, I love androgyny and I believe gender is fluid. So when I'm feeling more Grace Jones than Grace Kelly or more Marlene Dietrich than Marilyn Monroe, I treat myself with androgyny. It's lovely to step outside your typical box for a refreshing, different way to feel sexy. Who says you can't be Ginger one day and Fred the next?

And where better to honour this dichotomy than at the AGO exhibit celebrating one of the world's most famous androgynes, David Bowie. The exhibit was absolutely breathtaking and can't be put into words. Bowie has always been an idol of mine, as a performer and as a fashion icon. His ability to evolve and grow into various personas like Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane and the Thin White Duke through fashion is something I can relate to. He challenges me (and a lot of people) to rethink both my fashion identity and my gender identity. I left with a new perspective and a new direction for where I'd like to go with my style... but if you haven't gone to the exhibit yet and you live in Toronto, I cannot recommend it enough! And finally, the fact that my bowtie and collar are crooked in these photos will haunt me for a long, long time.

Kismet blazer/ Forever 21 white button down/ H&M overalls/ The Bay bowtie/ Zara boots

6 comments:

  1. You look stunning, I do love men accessories in women wardrobe it makes them even more feminine
    Happy day
    http://lavenderloafers.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely loving your androgynous look... awesome!.. and yes, I agree.. I sometimes feel more like looking like a hobo hippie..and some other times I do want to step out of my house a bit more glamorized.. rarely happens but it happens ha ha..and sometimes I go for the men's look for sure, when my hair was way short I loooved looking like a little boy.. everyone thought I was gay but whatevs.. I liked being a boy.. anyway.. digging this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooo cool!!! love it

    Please check my new post

    http://realizzy.blogspot.co.uk

    eliza
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

 

FOLLOW ME ON BLOGLOVIN

Follow on Bloglovin

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM